Skip to main content
- Cook only where it is allowed.
- Keep your cooking area clean and free of anything that can burn.
- If a fire starts in a microwave, keep the door closed and unplug the unit.
- Keep an eye on what you are cooking, especially if you are cooking at high temperatures.
- Keep lamps, light fixtures, and light bulbs away from anything that can burn.
- Never use an extension cord with large appliances, like a refrigerator.
- Do not overload outlets. Use only surge protectors or power strips that have internal overload protection.
- Make sure cigarettes and ashes are out.
- Never toss hot cigarettes butts or ashes in the trash can.
- Use deep, wide ashtrays.
- Place ashtrays on something sturdy and hard to burn.
- Don’t smoke when you have been drinking or are drowsy.
- After a party, check for cigarette butts, especially under cushions. Chairs and sofas catch on fire fast and burn fast.